TAIZÉ PRAYER SERVICE: Please join us for a youth-lead Taizé service on Sunday, May 7th 7:00-8:00 p.m. in the Chapel. This is a short, elegantly simple service: short chants, repeated over and over in the candlelit chapel. There will also be short Scripture readings and silence. Brother John, a Taizé monk says, “It is a time to rest in God, to let the words listened to and sung penetrate one’s being” says. We hope you can join us.
FAMILY PROMISE: Our second Family Promise week of the year is coming up (April 30-May 7, 2017). Family Promise helps families without homes achieve independence by providing temporary housing, lodging, meals, case management, and educational services. St. Paul’s serves as a host congregation, providing meals, supplies, and volunteer support to families temporarily residing at White Plains United Methodist Church in Cary several times each year. We need volunteers for:
- Social Hosting (Mon, Wed, Thu, Sat) involves watching and playing with around 4-6 kids between 6:30 and 8:30 p.m.
- Overnight Hosts (Sun-Sat) from 8:30 p.m. – 6:30 a.m.
Please sign up at www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0445aea62f4-family or at St. Paul’s webpage under “Outreach.”
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY: St. Paul’s is, once again, partnering with several local Episcopal churches and organizations for a Habitat build in Southeast Raleigh, located in the Crosstowne neighborhood at 921 Skinner Drive. All are encouraged to participate at any time throughout the build, but St. Paul’s has been allotted two special parish “work days” on April 29 and May 20 where our church will get priority for volunteer participation. Volunteers must be 16 years or older (volunteers under 18 years of age must bring a parent/guardian waiver on their volunteer date). To register for one or many days of volunteering and to obtain necessary waiver forms, go to http://vhub.at/EpiscopalBuild17. If you have any questions, contact Dave Mackie at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone/text at 919-260-6707.
ASP CHORE DAY: Youth and adults who are going on the Appalachia Service Project are teaming on Saturday, May 6 from
8:00 a.m.-12:00 noon to do various jobs at parishioners’ houses as a fundraiser for our trip. If you have work that lends itself to a group effort, yard work for example, hire us to do it! We don’t charge for our work – you donate to our ASP trip instead. Let us help you get some spring chores done! Contact Susannah Vitaglione at email@example.com to sign up to have a job done. ASP folks and any other youth volunteers go to www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0A4CADAA2CA46-aspspring to sign up.
COFFEE HOUR MINISTRY HIGHLIGHTS: The Outreach Committee is hosting coffee hour in the Parish Hall following the 9:00 a.m. service today. St. Paul’s offers many outreach opportunities, including Habitat for Humanity, Refuge for Refugees, and Dorcas Ministries. Please stop by and talk to the Outreach Committee about how you can get involved.
Next week there will be a Parish Update by the Vestry in the church following the 9:00 service. There will not be a formal coffee hour in the Parish Hall, but coffee will be served in the narthex before the meeting.
SENIOR MINISTRY OFFERING: Overwhelmed with “Stuff”? Do you need to organize or prepare for a move? On Wednesday, May 10, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. in the Youth Wing, Susan Stanhope, a Certified Senior Move Manager, will offer many good ideas. RSVP or arrange transportation on the St. Paul’s website or contact Jean Huey, firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-303-5769.
REFUGE FOR REFUGEES ESL TRAINING: Please join us for beginning ESL training on Sunday, May 7th at 6:30 p.m. in the Parish Hall. Gale Herrman, who teaches ESL at Wake Tech, will provide us with information about how to get started teaching ESL. We look forward to learning about how to assist our refugee families in developing effective English skills.
AMAZON SMILE: St. Paul’s is now an active charity on Amazon Smile where Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to the charities selected by the customer! Go to smile.amazon.com and when asked to select your charity, select “St. Paul’s Episcopal Church Cary, NC” (be sure not to select the St. Paul’s that includes the Diocese of NC in the title). Or, you can go directly to the St. Paul’s link: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/56-1327988. Happy Shopping!
ADULT FORMATION: Class resumes today in the Chapel from 10:15 – 11:00 a.m., led by clergy and entitled “The Acts of the Apostles, Part I.” Coffee and cookies are available in the Chapel narthex before class. Next week’s class is entitled “The Acts of the Apostles, continued.”
NEWCOMER CLASS: There will be a Newcomer Class for all who are interested in learning about St. Paul’s, the larger Episcopal Church, and opportunities in which to participate. It will be Tuesday evenings May 2, and May 9 in the Chapel, from 7:00-8:15 p.m. You are invited to attend all of the classes, but attend as many as you can: they are not a continuing series. The classes will be led by Rev. George, while other clergy and ministry leaders will come in to share about the many ministry groups. For more information, contact Frank and Anne Laney at email@example.com at (919) 460-0835.
APPALACHIA SERVICE PROJECT (ASP) brings thousands of volunteers from around the country to rural Central Appalachia to repair homes for low-income families. Their mission is to make homes “Warmer, Safer, and Drier.” St. Paul’s is once again going with a team of youth and adults. This year we will go June 25 – July 1 to a location in North Carolina. There are limited spaces available for youth who are rising 9th graders – graduating seniors. To sign up, contact Kevin Swann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CURSILLO WEEKEND will be held at St. Paul’s on June 8 11, 2017. Please consider becoming a participant, especially if you are looking for something more in your spiritual life. Cursillo is a spiritual renewal ministry in the Episcopal Church for men and women. For more information please contact Rev. Candy Snively at 919-380-7101 or email@example.com.
PRESCHOOL SUMMER FUNdraiser- Please let us know if you own a business or have a contact with a local business that would be willing to donate to the Preschool. We are searching for items to be raffled off on Thursday, May 18th at our Summer FUNdraiser. Proceeds from the raffle will go towards items for the playground and classrooms. Please email Brooke Bowersox at firstname.lastname@example.org for the donation letter or with any questions. We appreciate your support! Thank you!
ACOLYTES NEEDED: Calling all 5th-12th graders! St. Paul’s needs more volunteers to be acolytes during church. It is a great way to contribute to the church, get community service hours for your school – and it is lots of fun to be part of the service. Are you interested, but you’re worried you won’t know what to do? No problem! We will provide training for you to go over all the things you need to know. Anyone with interest should contact Jodi Jeffries at email@example.com. Come be a part of our group!
- The 2016-2017 Children’s Collection Basket is collecting funds to host a Note in the Pocket Sort Day on June 4, 2017. So far, we have collected $2184.74 toward our $3000.00 goal. We have 4 more Sundays to make up the difference … Can you please help us reach our goal?
- Children’s Chapel will be held at only at the 9:00 a.m. service today. Children ages 3 through 2nd grade are invited to follow the children’s cross processional to the Youth Wing. Children will return to the Sanctuary during the Peace.
- Mark your calendars for July 10-14, 2017 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon for our 2017 VBS, Abundance Orchard: Where Faith Grows! Registration forms are in the Narthex. We are also in need of parent volunteers to lead the story telling center, games center and 3-year-old group. Participant registration forms are due May 15. We also need youth volunteers. Please contact Stacy Lyerly at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to help.
- Sunday School: The lesson today is entitled “Peace & Justice: Calling Friends to Account.” Middle School meets in the Youth Wing. Middle School meets in the Youth Wing (go straight there, snacks are provided) and High School meets in Room 10.
- Family Promise: Set Up Today 2:00 p.m. at White Plains United Methodist Church. Family Promise provides temporary housing. We are going to set up the rooms and accommodations. If you can help contact Leah by 12.00 noon at email@example.com.
- EYC Tonight 5:00-7:00 p.m.: Taizé Prep. We will be planning and preparing our Taizé Service that will be held on May 7th. We need as many youth involved in this, so come help. We will also play games tonight.
KIDS’ CLUB: Friendly reminder, please leave your cellphone on vibrate for texts during service. The nursery staff may need you to return for your child. Thank you.