COFFEE HOUR MINISTRY HIGHLIGHTS: The Senior Ministry and Dorcas Ministries are co-hosting coffee hour in the Parish Hall following the 9:00 a.m. service today. The Senior Ministry offers social and educational activities for older adults and children of older parents. Dorcas Ministries is a local organization which provides affordable clothing, food, training and tools for self-sufficiency.
Next week Prayer Stitchers will be hosting Coffee Hour. This handiwork ministry – which includes knitting, crocheting, weaving, and quilting – welcomes adults, young people, and children as participants.
ADULT FORMATION: Lenten Series: Loving Our Neighbors Near and Far, Sundays in the Chapel, 10:15-11:00 a.m.). Join us today as we begin a new series that explores the role of our faith in public life. Dr. Luke Bretherton, Professor of Theological Ethics at Duke Divinity School, will kick off the series with a discussion of faith and civic engagement. His talk is entitled, “Healing Babylon: Faithful Politics in a Time of Division.”
Next Sunday, February 25, Molly N. Williamson, Ph. D candidate in Old Testament at Duke University, will delve into how Scripture informs our understanding of whom our neighbor is. Her talk is entitled, “The Hebrew Prophets and Our Neighbors.”
Wednesday Eucharist and Conversation (Noon and 7:00 p.m.): Engaging the Word in Lent. In seasons of preparation in the church, it is customary, not simply to fast from things which may distract us, but also to take up practices which will help us focus on the meaning behind our worship and prayers. On Wednesdays in Lent, you are invited to delve deeper into our Sunday readings alongside other members of St Paul’s. These mid-week Eucharist services will be meditative and include an opportunity for reflection and conversation. (Wednesdays at noon and at 7:00 p.m. in the Chapel – February 21 and 28; March 7, 14, and 21.)
Women’s Beach Week 2018: Registration for Women’s Beach Weekend in Emerald Isle (April 29 – May 6) has started. Cost is $40 a night, plus help with a meal or 2. This trip is open to all women (graduated high school and up)! Sign the poster in the narthex, fill out the forms, and turn in your check as soon as you can. Leave your forms in the folder on the poster, mail them to the church office, or email them to Yvon Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Men’s Beach Week runs Sunday, April 22 through Sunday, April 29. Mark your calendars now – plan for a day, or plan for the week. The signup sheet and more details will be available soon. Questions? Contact Mike McInerney at email@example.com or (919)656-4629.
The Altar Guild is looking for new members. We will welcome your help even if you can only give 30 minutes on a Sunday after the church service you attend. To learn more about this ministry, please contact Anne Babb (Altar Guild director) at 919-362-4622 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scout Sunday Celebration 2018: St. Paul’s will once again be celebrating Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Cub Scouts at the 9:00 a.m. service on Sunday, March 4th. Our Scouts will be volunteering for the service (greeters, ushers, lectors, etc.) as well as hosting the coffee hour that follows. Please sign up here to support this effort: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4daea62fa46-scout. If you have any questions or comments, please contact Kathleen Neff at email@example.com.
Adult Confirmation Classes during Lent: If you would like to explore the Christian faith in the Episcopal tradition, adult confirmation preparation is an excellent way to begin the journey. Confirmation classes for adults will take place on Tuesday evenings at 7:00 p.m. in the Chapel beginning on February 13 – immediately following the Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper – and continue through the Lenten season.
Attendance is expected if you would like to be confirmed or received into the Episcopal Church during the Bishop’s Visit (date TBD). You are welcome, however, to attend classes even if you do not plan to be confirmed. Please email the Rev. Javier Almendárez Bautista at firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend.
REFUGE for REFUGEES has been assigned a new family of six, expected to arrive late February from Afghanistan. We know few other details at this point so, to find out more, check the church website for updates. Or contact Mike Harrell at email@example.com, or MM Cupitt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MOMS CC Has a New Name: Please join MOMS Transitions (formerly MOMS College Conversation) for conversation and fellowship on Thursday, February 22, from 7 – 9 p.m. in the youth wing. Open to mothers of high school juniors through young adults, this is a time to get together, share wisdom, and enjoy each other’s company. There is no preparation or homework. Bring a snack to share and join us! If you have questions, contact Alana Loughlin at email@example.com or Aleta McClenney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Senior Ministry has rescheduled the “snowed out” lunch from January to Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 11:30 a.m. at Travinia Italian Kitchen, 1301 Market Center Drive, in the Park West Village at the intersection of Cary Parkway and Hwy 54 in Morrisville. RSVP at Sign-up Genius or contact Jean Huey at email@example.com or 919-303-5769 to RSVP and for transportation needs.
All ages are invited to attend an “Advanced Directives” event on March 10 at 1:00 p.m. in the Chapel. Rich Gwaltney, the Community Engagement Representative for Transitions Life Care, will provide practical tips on selecting a healthcare power of attorney and making decisions for future medical care. Please RSVP to Jean Huey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-303-5769.
APPALACHIA SERVICE PROJECT (ASP) brings thousands of volunteers from around the country to rural Central Appalachia to repair homes for low-income families. Their mission is to make homes “Warmer, Safer, and Drier.” This year we will go June 24 – June 30 to a location in Tennessee. Registration for the ASP Trip has begun. There are limited spaces available for youth who are rising 9th graders – graduating seniors. To sign up, contact Kevin Swann at email@example.com or (919) 607-5913.
ASP SPAGHETTI DINNER: Enjoy fellowship and fabulous food at this ASP fundraiser. This year’s Spaghetti Dinner will be from 6 – 8 pm on Friday, March 9th, in the Parish Hall. Individual plates are $5.00 for children and $8.00 for adults or feed the family for $20.00. There will also be an auction of baskets. Join us for a fun night! Our youth and adult volunteers will be volunteering with ASP this summer, and we appreciate your support.
Lenten Quiet Day-2018: The Society of the Companions of the Holy Cross, a vowed non-residential community of Episcopal women, invite you to attend a Lenten Quiet Day on Saturday, March 17th, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at St. Matthew’s Church in Hillsborough. The day, led by the Rev. Susannah Smith, will include three meditations followed by quiet time. Continental breakfast and warm lunch included. Suggested donation: $10.00. Please R.S.V.P. to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3/10/17.
- The Children’s Little Brown Stewardship Basket is working toward our 2018 Note in the Pocket Sort Day, scheduled for June 3, 2018. We have collected $1661.43 toward our goal of $3000.00.
- Sunday School will start at 10:10 a.m. in the Education Building and Children’s Chapel, for children ages 3-2nd grade, will be held at the 9:00 and 11:15 a.m. service.
- VBS Participant Registration forms are available in the Narthex. VBS will be June 18-25 (note the date change). Please email Christine Ingram if you are interested in volunteering or leading the Craft center.
- We need Easter Candy for our Easter Egg Hunt! Please drop off candy donations (small, peanut-free, individually wrapped) in the bin located in the collection area by the Music Room. Thank you.
- Pre-EYC meets today from 2:00-4:00 p.m. at Urban Ministries for a tour and volunteering. We hope many of our 4th and 5th graders and their families will attend.
- The presence of children is a gift to the Church and children are always welcome in our services. If you feel the need, Nursery care for babies and young children is available – please see an usher to escort you to the Nursery (Kids’ Club). Our Bride’s Room is in the back of the Sanctuary and is open to anyone needing a place for a crying baby or restless child.
- Sunday School: The lesson for Middle Schoolers today is entitled “Peace & Justice – Apathy: Refusing to Hear.” The High Schoolers will meet in Room 10 and then go together to hear Dr. Luke Bretherton’s talk on “Faith & Civic Engagement” in the Chapel.
- No EYC Tonight: Take a break after the Murder Mystery!
- Murder Mystery: Thank you to everyone who came out and supported the youth last night. It was a fun night of good food, great fellowship, and a juicy murder. Thank you also to the amazing group of youth and parents who helped make it all happen. We’ve learned that it takes a village to pull off a good murder (mystery dinner).
PRAYER LIST RENEWAL: We ask that those who have requested friends and loved ones be included on the prayer list, email the office at Melanie.Fairbrother@stpaulscary.org or call the office at 467-1477 extension 10, to renew the request by Monday, February 19, 2018 to renew your request.