Changes, Challenges & Crisis: Remembering the Civil Rights Era in the Diocese of North Carolina, 1963-1973.
You are invited to St. Philip’s Episcopal Church at 403 E. Main in Durham on Saturday, June 3, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for a retrospective on this important decade. Go behind the headlines of the General Convention Special Program, Malcolm X Liberation University, and the Black Panther Party’s Free Ambulance Service. Consider the legacy of this era in our individual and corporate lives, and in our ongoing efforts toward racial reconciliation. Two groups of panelists, along with audience participants, will offer eye-witness accounts and reflections on their experiences. An optional tour of the Pauli Murray Family Home at 906 Carroll Street in Durham, led by Barbara Lau, Director of the Pauli Murray Project, will follow the program. This home was recently designated a National Historic Landmark and is the future home of The Pauli Murray Center for History and Social Justice. A registration fee of $15 includes lunch. Check the diocesan website under “News & Events / Upcoming Events” or call Lynn Hoke at 919-602-4305 to register.
GET TO KNOW OUR COMMUNITY NEIGHBORS: On Saturday, June 17, St. Paul’s will again join with other Cary churches and the Cary Police Department to host a summer party for residents of the Wrenn Drive area from 12:00 noon ‘til 4:00 p.m. We’ll have crafts and face-painting for the kids. Come help at this fun event. If you are a teenager studying Spanish, this is a great opportunity to try out your language skills! See the St. Paul’s website (search for GoDo) for the link to sign up. Financial contributions to the event are also welcome!
ALTAR GUILD: During our recent spring cleaning, the Altar Guild found four altar frontals that do not fit the altars in the sanctuary or the chapel. They are beautifully made with lovely embroidery on good-quality, heavy fabric in a variety of the seasonal colors of the church. They are about 4 feet wide by 3 feet. Does anyone know their history and how they came to be at St. Paul’s? Please contact Anne Babb at email@example.com if you have information. Pictures of the frontals are available in the newsletter both printed and on the website.
COFFEE HOUR MINISTRY HIGHLIGHTS: There is no coffee hour today. We hope you have a safe and happy memorial weekend with family and friends.
Next week is Youth Sunday, and the Youth Committee will be serving lemonade and refreshments in front of the church following the 9:00 a.m. service. Our youth program is a strong and integral part of our parish community. Many of our youth will be helping with our worship service, as ushers, lay readers and more. Please use this opportunity to say thanks or to find out more about this important ministry.
AMAZON SMILE: St. Paul’s is now an active charity on Amazon Smile where Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to the charities selected by the customer! Go to smile.amazon.com and when asked to select your charity, select “St. Paul’s Episcopal Church Cary, NC” (be sure not to select the St. Paul’s that includes the Diocese of NC in the title). Or, you can go directly to the St. Paul’s link: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/56-1327988. Happy Shopping!
Remember when there was a monthly breakfast social event? The Senior Ministry is trying to get it started again on the first Wednesday of every month. We’ll meet for the first-time Wednesday, June 7, from 9:00-10:00 a.m. at the iHOP on Kildaire Farm Road. No need to make a reservation; just show up. We’ll also discuss whether time, place, etc., need to be changed.
Kids’ Club: Friendly reminder, please leave your cellphone on vibrate for texts during service. The nursery staff may need you to return for your child.
CURSILLO weekend will be held at St. Paul’s on June 8‑11, 2017. Please consider becoming a participant, especially if you are looking for something more in your spiritual life. Cursillo is a spiritual renewal ministry in the Episcopal Church for men and women. For more information please contact Rev. Candy Snively at 919-380-7101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appalachia Service Project (ASP) brings thousands of volunteers from around the country to rural Central Appalachia to repair homes for low-income families. Their mission is to make homes “Warmer, Safer, and Drier.” St. Paul’s is once again going with a team of youth and adults. This year we will go June 25 – July 1 to a location in North Carolina. There are limited spaces available for youth who are rising 9th graders – graduating seniors. To sign up, contact Kevin Swann at email@example.com.
Baptism Dates are:
July 9, 2017 at 9:00 a.m.
August 13, 2017 at 9:00 a.m.
September 10, 2017 at 11:15 a.m.
To help you prepare for the sacrament of baptism for yourself or your child, you are required to attend Baptism Instruction class. Please call the Office Manager, Melanie Fairbrother at Melanie.Fairbrother@stpaulscary.org or 467-1477 ext. 10 to schedule your baptism class and baptism date. Instruction is usually the 1st Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Cry Room / Bride’s Room.
- Thank you to everyone that contributed to the 2016-2017 Children’s Stewardship Basket. We exceeded our $3000 goal, collecting $3142, which enables us to host our Note in the Pocket Sort Day next Sunday! Now we need volunteers to join us on Sunday, June 4 at 10:10 a.m. in the Parish Hall for our Note in the Pocket Sort Day! We will be sorting clothing in to seasons, sizes and gender. This outreach event will last about one hour and all ages and stages are welcome and needed-the entire Parish is welcome to participate! Please contact Christine Ingram to let her know if you plan to attend. This is a great way to involve children of all ages in outreach!
- Children’s Ministries is on vacation today, so there will be no Children’s Chapel at either service.
- We are looking forward to welcoming over 80 children and 30 volunteers to our 2017 VBS, Abundance Orchard: Where Faith Grows! Participant registration is closed, but we may have room to squeeze you in…contact Christine Ingram about space availability at Christine.Ingram@stpaulscary.org. We are also still in need of youth and adult volunteers.
- Children’s Bulletins, crayon packs, and pipe cleaners are available on the desk in the Narthex. Nursery care for babies and young children is also available – please see an usher to escort you to the Nursery (Kids’ Club). Our Bride’s Room is in the back of the Sanctuary and is open to anyone needing a place for a crying baby or restless child. Sunday School is on vacation until Sept. 10.
- Sunday School: No classes since it’s Memorial Day weekend.
- No EYC Tonight
- Youth Sunday on June 4th at 9:00 a.m.: Please sign up to help at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d49afaa2fa7fb6-youth2. We will need lots of youth.
- Pool Party: End of year celebration on June 4th, 4-6 p.m. at Cary Swim Club.
- Middle School Mission Trip June 16-19: Youth will be traveling to the Episcopal Farmworker’s Ministry again this year for fun, fellowship, learning, and service. The cost is $100.00 which covers meals, transportation, and a day trip to Wrightsville Beach. The registration form and a $25.00 non-refundable deposit are due by June 4th. The form can be found at https://goo.gl/Vi36Kb. If you have any questions, contact Leah.