Brrrrrr! Bring back Spring! Thanks to all of you that braved the snow and joined us at church last Sunday. It was a very fun and very busy day! We hope you enjoyed wearing your PJs!
This Sunday will also be busy…please be sure to read the information below J.
Children’s Ministries News
- The 2016-2017 Children’s Collection Basket is collecting funds to host a Note in the Pocket Sort Day on June 4, 2017. So far we have collected $1402.10 toward our $3000.00 goal.
- Children’s Chapel will be held at the 9am service only this Sunday. Children ages 3 through 2nd grade are invited to follow the children’s cross processional to the Youth Wing. Children will return to the Sanctuary during the Peace.
- Communion Classes continue this Sunday (for baptized children ages 1st grade and up). Participants should gather by the healing station in the Sanctuary at 10:10am.
- Pre-EYC-please turn in your registration forms and payment for our overnight retreat. Forms are due Sunday.
- Mark your calendars for July 10-14, 2017 from 9am to 12noon for our 2017 VBS, Abundance Orchard: Where Faith Grows! We are looking for center leaders for craft(2) and snack-or really any help is welcome. Please contact Stacy Lyerly at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to help! VBS Registration Forms will be out this Sunday!
- We need Easter CANDY! Please drop off any candy donations for our Easter Egg Hunt (small, peanut free, individually wrapped) in the bin in the Narthex. Donations are needed by April 9. Thank you!
Additional Information about the Glenaire 5K
St Paul’s has registered a team at the Glenaire 5K and 1 Mile Fun Run, Walk, and Roll on Saturday, April 1, 2017. The race will start and finish at the Glenaire just two minutes from the church. If you and your family would like to participate in this event, please go to www.glenaire5k.org for information and to register. To register, please enter all of your information, select the St Paul’s Fundraising Team, and then complete the online registration form. If you prefer, you can pick up a registration form in the narthex (a separate form is needed for each person participating in the event.) Please return paper forms to Leah or Christine today (Sunday) so they can be taken to Glenaire on Monday in time to order your race shirt. Glenaire is awarding $250 to the church with the most registrations. If St Paul’s wins, the money will be split between the youth and the children’s ministries. Children’s Ministries will use it’s $125 to help the Note in the Pocket collection.
Sunday School Lesson: Be Ready! The Son of Man is Coming!
Summary of This week’s Lesson:
Matthew 24–25 contain Jesus’ urgent sayings on the end times (eschatology), and describes the coming of the end of the age. Please remember that we know we are teaching children and that we will focus on the “cheerful” parts of these messages.
The Episcopal Thread:
Episcopalians tend to be a rather cheerful bunch. The Episcopal or Anglican understanding of God tells us that God is a God of compassion and mercy, forgiving us and wanting us to be with God for ever. Thus Episcopalians are not so afraid of the end of life or the end of time, confident that salvation will be there and God’s mercy and forgiveness will come to all. For this reason, the Burial Rite is an Easter liturgy, celebrating resurrection and life as well as mourning death. At the end of the service, the celebrant commends the deceased person to God in a prayer that asks God to “receive him into the arms of your mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light.” (BCP, p. 499) And at “The Committal,” when the body is laid to its rest, the celebrant begins by saying, “In sure and certain hope of the resurrection to eternal life through our Lord Jesus Christ…”
Things to ask your children
■■ What stories did you talk about today?
■■ What does Jesus tell us to do? (Be ready for his coming.)
■■ What does Jesus tell us about getting ready for him?
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about Children’s Ministries.
See you on Sunday!
Parish Administrator & Director of Children’s Ministries
2017 Children’s Calendar
March 19 Communion Class #2/No 11:15am Children’s Chapel
March 25 Pre-EYC Retreat 10am at Blue Jay Pointe
March 26 Communion Class #3/Parent Communion Class/Pre-EYC Retreat Continues
Apr. 2 Communion Celebration 9am/Note in the Pocket Drive begins
Apr. 9 Palm Sunday/No Sunday School/Note in the Pocket Drive continues
Apr. 14 Good Friday Service for Children (Stations of the Cross) 10am
Apr. 16 Easter Egg Hunt/No Sunday School or Children’s Chapel/Note in the Pocket Drive continues/Bishop Visit/Confirmation
Apr. 23 Pre-EYC Family Picnic/Playground Clean Up Day/Note in the Pocket Drive continues
Apr. 30 Note in the Pocket Drive Ends
May 7 Last Day of Sunday School
May 14 Mother’s Day/Recognize 5th Graders
May 21 St. Paul’s Annual Parish Picnic
May 28 No Children’s Chapel (Service times move to 7:30am, 9am and 10:45am)
June 4 Note in the Pocket Sort Day 10:10am
July 2 No Children’s Chapel
July 10-14 VBS 9am-12pm
Sept. 3 No Children’s Chapel
Sept. 10 Sunday School Begins (Service times return to 7:30am, 9am and 11:15am)
Oct. 29 Pumpkin Carving 5pm-7pm
Dec. 17 Christmas Pageant