Grow in knowledge and love for our nation’s farmworkers
It’s the second most important thing Jesus asked of us, but how can we truly love our neighbors as ourselves without even knowing them? To help us begin to know our neighbors, the Outreach Committee will be offering Immersion Experiences starting this summer. These events will offer opportunities to engage with our neighbors who may not be the members of our community that we interact with every day. We hope to promote a dialogue that will:
- nourish our capacity to reflect and break down stereotypes and assumptions,
- foster our capacity to form authentic relationships cross-culturally,
- heighten our awareness of our impact on other communities,
- cultivate a deeper respect and compassion among us for humankind as a whole, and
- strengthen our ability to love and serve our neighbors by understanding their experiences more deeply.
Our first experience will take place on the evening of Friday, July 29 when we will bring a meal and share fellowship with farmworkers in eastern North Carolina. Farmworkers feed each and every one of us, yet many of us are unaware of the (frequently atrocious) conditions in which they live and work. (Please watch this short video about the lives of NC farmworkers.) We will take a van from St. Paul’s to a farmworker camp to see and experience how farmworkers live. Use the link below to sign up!