We are less than 2 weeks away from celebrating the birth of Jesus. That elicits both a “Hallelujah” and a “Yikes” from me. It’s wonderful, but there’s so much to do before Christmas can “happen.” Or is there? The real message of Advent is to take time to wait and to prepare for the Messiah. I guess it’s the preparing part that has me a little nervous. But a message from the NC Council of Churches Advent guide is worth remembering: “Slowing down, allowing yourself to experience the expectation of the arrival of Emmanuel, is what is really important.” I pray you can do that during this season.
Thank you to everyone who helped make the babysitting fundraiser last Friday such a success. Even though it was a cold, wet night, we had plenty of kids to tend and lots of youth to do the tending. We raised over $400 for youth missions! Thank you particularly to Lynn, Susannah, Emily, and Allan – all special adults who were willing to take time to spend it with us. The bowling and lock in were lots of fun too. And yes, I used the bumpers, but so did everyone else!
I will be out of the office from December 19 – January 2 and probably won’t check email much, if any, during that time. If you need anything, call the church office and they can either help you or get in touch with me. I am looking forward to spending time with loved ones and I hope you are all able to do that too. I pray you have safe travels and many Christmas blessings.
There are a few more Advent events left:
YOUTH MINISTRY NEWS Action Required ***Time Sensitive
- Sunday School: The lesson today is entitled “Peace & Justice: Materialism.” Middle School meets in the Youth Wing (go straight there, snacks are provided) and High School meets in Room 10.
- EYC Sunday: It’s our Annual Christmas Party! Here’s what to do:
- Wear your most “memorable” (the tackier the better!) Christmas sweater, shirt, sweatshirt, or “outfit” for our 5th Annual Crazy Christmas Sweater/Sweatshirt Competition
- Bring a wrapped gift (worth no more than $10 – something fun, but not gross) for our Silly Gift Exchange
- Have your singing voice and good cheer – we will also be going out to carol. Dress for the weather and bring a flashlight.
- Tuesdays 12/12, and 12/19: Advent Study 6-7 pm: We’ll be creating different prayer stations with art, music, and contemplative prayer. Come join us for some quiet, intentional time together in the midst of this busy season.
Youth Program Coordinator