We are coming up on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on Monday, when we mark his birthday. According to Wikipedia, “The national Martin Luther King Day of Service was started by former Pennsylvania U.S. Senator Harris Wofford and Atlanta Congressman John Lewis, who co-authored the King Holiday and Service Act. The federal legislation challenges Americans to transform the King Holiday into a day of citizen action volunteer service in honor of King and was signed into law by President Clinton 1994.” I invite all youth to come join in a morning of service with the youth of St. John’s Episcopal in Wake Forest on Monday. The details are below. I know it means an early morning, but it will be fun and rewarding!
Check out the list of events below. We’ve got lot of awesome things coming up.
YOUTH MINISTRY NEWS: !!!Action Required ***Time Sensitive
- Sunday School 10:15-11 a.m.: The lesson today is entitled “Peace & Justice: Controlled by Possessions.” Middle School meets in the Youth Wing (go straight there, snacks are provided) and High School meets in Room 10.
- Murder Mystery Rehearsal: 4-5 p.m. Sunday.
- EYC Sunday – Regular EYC 5-7 pm: Come ready to play games and have fun fellowshipping together.
- Acolyte Training & Refresher Classes: For those who have never acolyted before, it will teach everything you need to know to serve and for experienced acolyte, it will be a time to brush up on your skills, if you think you need it. Please use this link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054bacab2ea5fb6-stpauls2. Youth only need to attend one of the sessions:
- Sunday 1/14 at 12:30pm
- Saturday 1/20 at 10:00am
The trainings will be led by Father George, and will last about 30-45 minutes.
- January 15 – MLK Day Convocation Event. Youth are invited to participate in a Habitat House Refurb in Wake Forest from 8-1 on Monday. We will leave St. Paul’s at 7:30 to paint and insulate a house and then participate in an interfaith luncheon and worship service. Any age youth can participate. Email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) to sign up.
- *** Kanuga Snow Tubing 1/19-21: This is a REALLY fun trip – we’re going back to stay at Kanuga and snow tube at Moonshine Mountain! The cost is $135.00. More information is here: Kanuga Snowtubing 2018 Please sign up (https://goo.gl/forms/fdO7m5xRcfWZF9vz1) and pay by 1/15/18.
- Murder Mystery Dinner 2/17/18: Calling all high schoolers – we need your talent and enthusiasm for the murder mystery – you are the cast! There are a few parts we still need to cast (they have minimal lines, so very little memorization necessary!). Let me know you’re interested and come to rehearsal on Sunday afternoon from 4-5 pm.
- !!! Bishop’s Ball February 23-25: This Diocesan event is full of awesome activities and workshops – and the Bishops are there. There is a formal dinner, followed by a celebration Eucharist and dance with a DJ Saturday night. Most participants dress up for Saturday evening’s festivities. The cost is $100 and scholarships are available. Register online: http://www.dionc.org/Youth/youth-main.html. This is an amazing event!
- New 2018 Signups:
- Meals: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d49afaa2fa7fb6-eycmeals2
- Christian Formation Teacher Sign Up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d49afaa2fa7fb6-church1
- EYC Advisor Sign Up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d49afaa2fa7fb6-eycadvisors3
- Calendar: Found on Youth Page: http://www.stpaulscary.org/ministries/youth/
Youth Program Coordinator