God comes to us as a vulnerable human baby to an unlikely couple
in an obscure place. And in doing so turns the world upside down.
Jesus says: Stick with me even if I am different, confusing,
or surprising. I have come, and I am coming to you today with love!
Look for me. Listen. I am coming in an unexpected way.
-Br. Luke Ditewig
Society of Saint John the Evangelist
This word – Surprise – was the Advent word of the day yesterday. I find it intriguing because we don’t often associate surprise with God. I think a lot of that is because we don’t slow down and look for the graceful surprises that God gives us. I think we also often think of God (and Jesus) as being static, never-changing, dare I say the same old, same old? We know the stories, we’ve heard the verses, we’ve participate in the liturgy over and over. But as Brother Ditewig says above, Jesus was quite the surprise and He continues to come to us in surprising and unexpected ways. My prayer is that during this season of Advent, you take moments to see where God is working in surprising ways in your lives. As we wait for Jesus, please take time to be stlll and appreciate the gifts that God surprises us with!
Here’s the Youth Ministry new for the week (and beyond):
- Sunday School: There are Youth Formation classes Sunday. The lesson is entitled “Taking Risks: Trusting the Spirit.” Middle School will meet back in the Youth Wing and High School meets in Room 10.
- EYC Sunday 5-7 pm: It’s our Annual Christmas Party! Here’s what to do:
- Bring an appetizer or finger food to share. Last Names A-L bring an appetizer, last names M-Z bring a dessert.
- Wear your most “memorable” (the tackier the better!) Christmas sweater, shirt, sweatshirt, or “outfit” for our 5th Annual Crazy Christmas Sweater/Sweatshirt Competition.
- Bring a wrapped gift (worth no more than $10 – something fun, but not gross) for our Silly Gift Exchange.
- Have your singing voice and good cheer – we will also be going out to carol. Dress for the weather and bring a flashlight.
- No Youth Programming 12/21-1/8: Enjoy time with your family and friends – more time to slow down and look for those surprises that God shares with us! EYC and Sunday school start back on 1/9/17.
- Advent Study Tuesday 12/20, 6-7 pm: Come join us for our look at C.S. Lewis’s world of Narnia in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Reading the book is not required. Bring your dinner and we’ll eat together. We meet in the Youth Wing.
- Kanuga Snowtubing Trip 1/27-29: We are going back to Kanuga and Moonshine Mountain to snowtube. This was a great trip last year. I will have registration materials early next week, but be aware that the registration deadline will be 1/16/17.
- Bishop’s Ball 2/17-19: Registration is already open and the spots will fill up, so go ahead and sign up now: http://www.dionc.org/digital_faith/events/3169952. This is a wonderful Diocesan event with workshops, games, music, a Stop Hunger Now service project, and the big dance. All our Bishops, plus the candidates for Bishop will be there! Scholarships are available. Please don’t miss this event!
I hope to see lots of you Sunday.
Youth Program Coordinator