Rejoice in the Lord, always:
again, I say, rejoice.
Indeed, the Lord is near.
The 3rd week of Advent begins Sunday – wow! Weren’t we just cleaning up from the Halloween Carnival? Actually, it’s been a such a full beginning to Advent in Youth Ministry, that it is only now that I feel like we can slow down and begin to properly wait for the Christ child. We still have some great events planned, but the BIG stuff is done, so we can spend time being together.
This past weekend was the BIG stuff – the Babysitting fundraiser and lock-in and the Advent Play. Both were so successful and I can’t say enough thank you’s to everyone who helped make them happen. We raised almost $500 in donations at the Babysitting night and had fun hanging out with children from the Parish and preschool. The lock- in was a blast – late night bowling (with glow-in-the-dark pins and a disco ball!) and Sardines being highlights. Then Sunday and the Advent play happened. What a great job from all the cast and production folks. Kudos to Sherri Hubbard and Emily Woodyer Luke for bringing the play back to St. Paul’s. It was a wonderful message to share.
There’s still more, so read on:
- Sunday School: There are Youth Formation classes Sunday (after the awesome Children’s Pageant at 9:00)! The lesson is entitled “Difficult Decisions: Choosing Life.” Middle School will meet in the library in the Education Bldg – please note the change. High School meets in Room 10.
- EYC Sunday 5-7 pm: We will be decorating sweaters or sweatshirts for our 5th annual Crazy Christmas Sweater/Sweatshirt contest at the party the next EYC (12/18). Bring a sweater, shirt, or sweatshirt to decorate or embellish and bring some decorations to share – bells, Christmas-themed decorations, fabric paint/pens, whatever – the flashier the better!
- Advent Study Tuesdays 12/13 and 12/20, 6-7 pm: Come join us for a look at C.S. Lewis’s world of Narnia in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Reading the book is not required. Bring your dinner and we’ll eat together. We meet in the Youth Wing.
- Javier’s Ordination Saturday 12/17, 11 am: Rev. Javier is being ordained at Canterbury School in Greensboro, and if anyone wants to ride with me, I can take 5 additional people. If more people want to go and caravan, we can do that too. You need to be at St. Paul’s at 9:00 and we will be back 2:30ish. Seats are first come, first served, so let me know if you want to ride with me.
- Kanuga Snowtubing Trip 1/27-29: We are going back to Kanuga and Moonshine Mountain to snowtube. This was a great trip last year. I will have registration materials early next week, but be aware that the registration deadline will be 1/16/17.
- Bishop’s Ball 2/17-19: Registration is already open and the spots will fill up, so go ahead and sign up now: http://www.dionc.org/digital_faith/events/3169952. This is a wonderful Diocesan event with workshops, games, music, a Stop Hunger Now service project, and the big dance. All our Bishops, plus the candidates for Bishop will be there! Scholarships are available. Please don’t miss this event!
I hope to see lots of you Sunday.
Youth Program Coordinator