A Prayer of Self-Dedication (for Advent and for Anytime)
Almighty and eternal God, so draw our hearts to thee,
so guide our minds, so fill our imaginations, so control our wills,
that we may be wholly thine, utterly dedicated unto thee;
and then use us, we pray thee, as thou wilt,
and always to thy glory and the welfare of thy people;
through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.
Advent is actually here. During this church season, we don’t just get ready to celebrate Christmas. We also anticipate the return of Christ, ushering in the full and final reign of God. We remember that through God’s grace we are citizens of heaven. We seek to glorify God on earth while we wait for the day of the Lord. I don’t know about you, but this year, I need Advent more than ever.
I encourage you to take time as a family, to celebrate this season of Advent together. It is an opportunity to slow down and help everyone focus on the true meaning, not just the busyness and commercial aspects, of the season. Here are some resources for you to try:
· http://www.buildfaith.org/advent/ – a great site for family activities & crafts
· http://adventword.org/signup/ – sign up to receive an Advent word of the day with a short meditation
· https://makereadythefeastblog.com/ – this is a blog with a different scripture reading and recipe for a dish from around the world; you can sign up to have the daily updates emailed to you!
I pray that you find something here (or something you already have or do) that will enrich Advent for you and maybe create some new, meaningful family traditions to share.
YOUTH MINISTRY NEWS
- Advent Study Tuesday (Today!) 11/29 6-7 pm: Come join us for a look at C.S. Lewis’s world of Narnia in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Reading the book is not required. Bring your dinner and we’ll eat together and discuss how the world of Narnia helps us understand the Season of Advent here a little better. We will meet in the Youth Wing. We will continue to meet all the Tuesdays in Advent (through 12/20).
- Babysitting Fundraiser & Lock-In Friday, 12/2 – This is St. Paul’s youth tradition – we babysit children from the parish and the preschool, we get donations to fund youth programs, and then we stay overnight for a fun-filled lock in. What’s not to love? Come at 5:30 to set up, the babysitting runs from 6-9, and then we go bowling, come back and play games and then sleep in the Chapel. Pick up on Saturday is 9:00. Bring $15 for bowling and pizza, pj’s, sleeping bag, air mattress or sleeping pad, change of clothes, toiletries, and a snack to share. Sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0948aaaa2fa6f49-babysitting. To sign up kids to be babysat the form is at https://goo.gl/forms/35CTL1tHVgjdyOO43.
- Advent Play Dress Rehearsal Saturday 9-12: We start right after the lock-in, so bring your costume and have your lines memorized!
- Advent Play Dress Rehearsal Sunday 3:00-6 pm: Our last rehearsal and then dinner and then the play!!
- Advent Play Sunday 7-8pm: Come see the “Best Christmas Pageant Ever” performed by the St. Paul’s Youth Not-Ready-For-Primetime Players. It’s a wonderful Advent message, so come enjoy our gift to the Parish.
- Sunday School: The lesson Sunday is entitled “Difficult Decisions: Understanding God’s Laws.” Middle School meets in the Youth Wing (go straight there, snacks are provided) and High School meets in Room 10.
- EYC Sunday 5-7 pm: We will be helping to get set up for the Advent Play. Plan to stay for the play from 7-8 pm and support your fellow youth thespians.
Many Thanksgiving blessings to all of you.
Youth Program Coordinator