Announcements for Sunday, Jun 26
OUTREACH IMMERSION EXPERIENCE ON JULY 29: Grow in knowledge and love for our nation’s farmworkers
It’s the second most important thing Jesus asked of us, but how can we truly love our neighbors as ourselves without even knowing them? To help us begin to know our neighbors, the Outreach Committee will be offering Immersion Experiences starting this summer. These events will offer opportunities to engage with our neighbors who may not be the members of our community that we interact with every day. We hope to promote a dialogue that will:
• nourish our capacity to reflect and break down stereotypes and assumptions,
• foster our capacity to form authentic relationships cross-culturally,
• heighten our awareness of our impact on other communities,
• cultivate a deeper respect and compassion among us for humankind as a whole, and
• strengthen our ability to love and serve our neighbors by understanding their experiences more deeply.
Our first experience will take place on the evening of July 29th when we will bring a meal and share fellowship with farmworkers in eastern North Carolina. We will take a van from St. Paul’s to a farmworker camp to see and experience how farmworkers live. Please see the website for more information and to sign up.
MAY MATCH UPDATE AND GRATITUDE
Many, many thanks to the generous parishioners who contributed to the May Match Campaign. As of June 20, 2016, 112 parishioner families gave a total of $18,035 toward the May Match Campaign. The May “Matcher” responded with a wonderful donation of $17,165, bringing the May Match total to $35,200. Thank you to everyone for contributing!
ORDER YOUR ST. PAUL’S T-SHIRT
This is the last Sunday to order your St. Paul’s T-shirt. T-shirts are available in a variety of fabrics and cuts, long sleeve and short sleeve, children and adult sizes! Drop by the tent outside the Narthex today to order your shirt. Ordered shirts should be available for pickup by August 1.
COFFEE HOUR MINISTRY HIGHLIGHTS: The Communications Committee is providing refreshments in front of the church following the 9:00 service today. This committee works to keep us informed about the many activities of our parish through the website, newsletter, Sunday bulletins, narthex monitor, Facebook, Twitter, and more.
There will be no refreshments next week due to the Fourth of July holiday weekend.
ADULT EDUCATION – TWO OPPORTUNITIES: Today in the youth wing between the 9:00 and 10:45 services, a film in the NOOMA series will be shown, followed by a discussion period. From the NOOMA series overview: “Jesus encouraged his listeners to search, to question, to wrestle with the implications of what he was saying and doing. He inspired, challenged, provoked, comforted, and invited people to be open to God’s work in this world. Wherever he went, Jesus started discussions about what matters most.” These films offer an invitation to us to search, question, and join the discussion. All are welcome to attend. There will not be a film between services next Sunday (July 3).
Wednesday Night at the Movies, every Wednesday, 7:00 pm in the Youth Wing. Films from the series based on the book, A History of Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years, will be shown on Wednesday evenings in June and July. Narrated by Diarmaid MacCulloch, one of the world’s leading historians and Professor of the History of the Church at St. Cross College, Oxford University, the films take us to historical points of interest relevant to Christianity and Mr. MacCulloch discusses the evolution of the Christian faith and its four main forms: Orthodoxy, Oriental Christianity, Western Catholicism and Protestantism. Join us for these fascinating films. Bring a snack if you like!
DORCAS MINISTRY: Toilet Paper collection for Dorcas Ministry Food Pantry is today. Collection will be in front of the church.
The office will be closed Friday, July 1 and Monday, July 4, 2016.
• Have you ever considered joining the Sunday School Teaching Ministry? If so, you are in luck as we have a few openings for Sunday School Teachers for the 2016-2017 school year. Sunday School teachers work in teams of three, so you have every 3rd Sunday off. The lessons are fun and easy and the children are delightful! You can learn so much by explaining Bible Stories to children-but prior teaching experience is not necessary…just a love of God and children! As of now, Sunday School teaching openings are: 1 spot in 3 year olds, 1 spot in 2nd grade, 2 spots in 3rd grade and 2 spots in 4th grade. Please contact Christine Ingram to sign up or have your questions answered.
• Children’s Ministries is thrilled to announce the June 2016-May 2017 Children’s Collection beneficiary! Please join us in collecting for “A Note in the Pocket!” A Note in the Pocket provides new and like new clothing to children in need in Wake County. In addition to collecting funds, we will also be collecting new and like-new clothing and participating in clothing sorts a couple of times a year. And, we will also have a few “Socks and Undies Sundays!” Stay tuned for additional information about how you and your children can help with this new opportunity.
• Heroes and Villains Vacation Bible School was a blast! Thank you to the 100 children, 60 volunteers and their families for sharing the week with us!
• Children’s Chapel will continue at the 9am and 10:45am services all summer, with the exception of July 3th , July 10th and Labor Day weekends!
• Thank You to Youth Vacation Bible School Volunteers: Thank you to all 26 youth who helped at VBS this week. You were all amazing! Thanks also for coming together for lunch on Wednesday. It was fun getting to know you all better and hearing about your experiences at VBS.
• Next “Shake It Up” Sunday, July 3, 6-8 pm: Let’s keep the fun going throughout the summer! Come to the Youth Wing for milkshakes and fun activities. We will play games, maybe watch some movies, try some art projects, and go outside for Compline. It will be a fun relaxing time to stay connected through the summer. Come when you can!