Youth Babysitting Fundraiser, December 8th 6:00-9:00 p.m.: The youth will babysit kids ages 2 years through 5th grade in the Parish Hall. This is a fundraiser for youth missions and pilgrimages, so donations are accepted. Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d49afaa2fa7fb6-youth5.
2018 STEWARDSHIP – “Sharing God’s BLESSINGS”: Over the past few weeks, an effort was made to highlight and celebrate all the good that St. Paul’s represents. The church and its ministries provide spiritual support and help to our community that makes a real difference. Your support is what makes this a reality. Contributions in the form of pledges help support our church community and your contributions have been tremendous. If you haven’t pledged yet, we hope you consider turning in your pledge form as soon as possible so that we can include your pledge in our 2018 budgeting process. Pledge forms are available in the Narthex and the church office or you can pledge online through the St. Paul’s website. Thank you to everyone who has already pledged!
COFFEE HOUR MINISTRY HIGHLIGHTS: The Youth Committee is hosting coffee hour in the Parish Hall following the 9:00 a.m. service today. Our Youth program is a strong and integral part of our parish community, and its leaders generously offer their time to create an inviting, engaging, and inspirational environment for our youth. Please stop by to say thanks or perhaps to volunteer with this important ministry.
Next week the Women’s Discussion Group and the Mystery Book Group will be co-hosting coffee hour. Both of these groups offer excellent opportunities to share lively discussions and a love of reading.
Advent Lessons and Carols will be presented by the St. Paul’s Choir on December 17, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. in the church. This service of nine Scripture readings followed by choral music and hymns is modeled after the world-famous service presented by the Choir of Kings College, Cambridge, for many decades. This year’s music includes works by Felix Mendelssohn, Peter Warlock, Will Todd, and Rusty McKinney, as well great hymns for Advent. The Bells of St. Paul’s will perform the prelude music. This is an excellent service to invite neighbors and friends to attend.
ADULT FORMATION: What We Do in Episcopal Worship? (Sundays in the Chapel, 10:15-11:00 a.m.) Join us as we reflect on the Eucharist liturgy in this season of remembrance and anticipation. This Sunday, December 3, the Rev. J. Carr Holland III will discuss “Creating Sacred Space,” as we seek to deepen our understanding of the traditions and practice of Episcopal worship.
On Wednesdays this Advent season, the clergy will lead a series, Engaging the Word in Advent – a meditative Eucharist and conversation using the Sunday Advent readings. Join members of St. Paul’s as we mark the Advent season together for these mid-week Eucharist services. (Wednesdays at noon and at 7:00 p.m.in the Chapel.)
The Senior Ministry is hosting breakfast on Wednesday, December 6, 2017. Meet us from 9:00-10:00 a.m.at the IHOP on Kildaire Farm Road. No need to make a reservation; just show up.
MUSIC: The St. Paul’s Choir’s CD A Babe is Born: Music for Advent and Christmas is on sale every Sunday until the end of December. The selections include the premiere recording of Rusty McKinney’s setting of “There is No Rose of Such Virtue” composed for the St. Paul’s Choir. This professionally recorded and produced CD can be yours for just $10 (they make great Christmas gifts) and the proceeds benefit the entirety of Music Ministries. Look for our table after the 9:00 and 11:15 a.m. services just inside the Choir Room. And of course, anytime during the week when Rusty is in his office, they are available! Contact the Minister of Music at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 919-467-6241for help.
Rainbow Gathering Potluck and Ornament exchange: All are welcome to join us on December 15th at 7:00 p.m. in the Youth Wing for a potluck and ornament exchange. You can sign up at www.signupgenius.com/go/9040845afa72da46-rainbow. For more information, contact Andrea Johnson at 919-348-9599.
NICHOLAS IS COMING NEXT SUNDAY: Fewer than 100 of the nearly 400 tags identifying children in need remain on the St. Nicholas Advent tree. Please take one or more of the tags from the tree and plan to join us for St. Nicholas’ visit next Sunday, December 10th, at both the 9:00 a.m. and the 11:15 a.m. services. Please note that the gifts will be delivered to the service agencies on the afternoon of December 10th, so any gifts brought to the church after noon on December 10th WILL NOT reach the children for Christmas this year. Gifts may be dropped off earlier and placed under the tree. Your generosity in support of this ministry shows these children that they are loved in a very special way, by Christ, and by His community here at St. Paul’s. If you have any questions, contact Colette Hibberd at 919-803-9828 or MM Cupitt at 387-7993.
Greening of the Church: The Fourth Sunday of Advent and Christmas Eve are on the same Sunday this year; therefore, it will require the Greening of the Church to be held in two parts. Part One will be Thursday, December 21, from 7:00 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. We will be decorating the organ platforms, hanging the roping, and decorating the window sills. While the Altar Guild is responsible for preparing the church for our Christmas services, we always welcome the help of members of the congregation. We need fresh greenery to fill the various areas around the church – boxwood, cedar, magnolia leaves, holly, etc. Please bring some when you come to Green the Church on Thursday.
Christmas Poinsettia Envelopes are available in the pews. This is the last day to giving a poinsettia that will decorate the altar and worship spaces for the Christmas services is a beautiful way to remember and / or give thanks for the special people in our lives. The Altar Guild requests a donation of $20.00 per plant. Checks may be made payable to St. Paul’s with Altar Guild poinsettia noted on the memo line. Please make sure the outside of the envelope is filled out with your name and the name of the person(s) for whom the poinsettia is being given and note if the poinsettia is being given in memory of, or in thanksgiving for, that person. All requests must be received by Sunday, December 3, to be included in the Christmas bulletin. Requests / donations may be placed in the collection plates or dropped off at the church office. Christmas poinsettias may be taken home following the Christmas Day service.
Best Christmas Pageant Ever, tonight 5:00 pm in the Chapel: Come see the youth of St. Paul’s perform this funny and heart-warming drama – our gift to Parish as we all wait during this Advent season. It’s a family-friendly story.
- The Children’s Little Brown Stewardship Basket is working toward our 2018 Note in the Pocket Sort Day, scheduled for June 3, 2018. We have collected $853.21 toward our goal of $3,000.
- Christmas Pageant Participation Forms for non-speaking roles will be accepted until 1:00 p.m. today. Forms are available in the Narthex and in the church office. All soldiers, shepherds, angels and animals ages 3 and up are welcome!
- Sunday School continues today at 10:10 a.m. in the Education Building. Please join us!
- Children’s Chapel for children age 3 through 2nd grade will be held today at the 9:00 a.m. service and the 11:15 a.m. service. Immediately following the Collect, children may follow the cross processional to the Youth Wing.
- Clergy-Led Chapel for children in 3rd, 4th and 5th grades will be held at the 9:00 a.m. service today. Please meet Father Carr at the door to the courtyard.
- Children’s bulletins, crayon packs and pipe cleaners are available on the desk in the Narthex.
- The presence of children is a gift to the Church and children are always welcome in our services. If you feel the need, Nursery Care for babies and young children is available-please see an usher to escort you to the Nursery (Kids’ Club). Our Bride’s Room is in the back of the Sanctuary and is open to anyone needing a place for a crying baby or restless child
- Sunday School: The lesson today is entitled “Peace & Justice: Bless Those Who Persecute You.” Middle School meets in the Youth Wing (go straight there, snacks are provided) and High School meets in Room 10.
- Advent Play Dress Rehearsal 3-5 pm: Meet in the Chapel.
- EYC Tonight 4:30-7: Come early to set up for the Advent play, watch it (or perform in it!), and have dinner together.