What an interesting week so far…I am really hoping that winter is finally behind us-bring on Spring!
As we start the new season, Children’s Ministries has a couple of “needs:”
- When you start to pull out the spring and summer clothes for your children, please consider donating any like new spring and summer clothing that your children don’t need. We have the Note in the Pocket bin at St. Paul’s for the next month and we welcome new and like new clothing and shoes, as well as new underwear and socks. Any gender/size is welcome! Thank you! The collection bin is in the collection area outside the music room, just off the Narthex. All clothing donated goes directly to children in need in Wake County.
- Easter Candy-we need candy for our Easter Egg Hunt. Thank you so much to those of you that have already donated candy. We need much more candy for the 150 Egg Hunters that will be here on Easter morning. Please consider donating a bag of small, peanut free, individually wrapped candy. Candy “deadline” is next Sunday, March 24. Thank you so much! This collection bin is also in the collection area outside the music room, just off the Narthex.
Other Children’s News
- The Children’s Little Brown Stewardship Basket is working toward our 2018 Note in the Pocket Sort Day, scheduled for June 3, 2018. So far we have collected $1806.77 toward our goal of $3000.00.
- For this Sunday: Sunday School will start at 10:10am in the Education Building and Children’s Chapel, for children ages 3-2nd grade, will be held at the 9am service.
- Pre-EYC will be volunteering at the Food Bank from 2-4pm March 24th. Please contact Christine Ingram to RSVP.
- VBS Participant Registration forms and Communion Class Participation Forms are available in the Narthex on the table with the children’s crayon packs. Forms are due on April 1, 2018 and should be returned to Christine Ingram.
- As a reminder, this is our last week of Sunday of Sunday School until April 15. Please wish our teachers a lovely “break” as they enjoy Palm Sunday, Easter and Spring Break. Children’s Chapel will also be on vacation on April 1.
- Mark your calendars for the “family friendly” Stations of the Cross service on Good Friday, March 30 at 10am.
Sunday School this Week: Jesus’ Arrest, Trial and Death.
Summary: After the supper with his disciples, Jesus goes out to a garden, where Judas is waiting with some Roman soldiers and Pharisees to arrest him. The soldiers take him to the high priest for questioning, then to Pilate. As Jesus had foretold, by the time the cock crows Peter has denied Jesus three times. Reluctantly, Pilate hands Jesus over to the Jews for crucifixion, and Jesus dies on the cross with the words, “It is finished.”
Episcopal Thread: John’s account of the arrest, trial, and crucifixion of Jesus is always the reading for Good Friday—such is its power. Many people who are ecumenical in spirit and commitment, including Episcopalians, object to the anti-Judaic passages of John. So the Good Friday reading from John is sometimes substituted for a version from one of the Synoptic Gospels. Worshipers in the Episcopal Church may also find hymns that counteract the anti-Judaic leanings of this lesson. The Holy Week hymns (Hymnal 1982, #158-173) place the blame for Jesus’ death squarely on our shoulders—we whose sins brought the Son of God to suffer and die for us. For example, #158 says it best: Who was the guilty? Who brought this upon thee? Alas, my treason, Jesus, hath undone thee. ‘Twas I, Lord Jesus, I it was denied thee: I crucified thee.
Things to wonder with your children:
■■ What happened to Jesus in our story today?
■■ What did his friends do?
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about Children’s Ministries.
See you on Sunday!
Christine Owens Ingram, SPHR
Parish Administrator and Director of Children’s Ministries
|Mar. 18||Note in the Pocket Collection|
|Mar. 24||Pre-EYC Volunteers at Food Bank of NC 2-4-pm|
|Mar. 25||Palm Sunday-No Sunday School/Note in the Pocket Collection|
|Mar. 30||Good Friday Service for Families 10am|
|Apr. 1||Easter/Easter Egg Hunt 10:30am/No Children’s Chapel/No Sunday School/Note in the Pocket Collection|
|Apr. 8||Spring Break Sunday-No Sunday School/Note in the Pocket Collection|
|Apr. 14-15||Pre-EYC Retreat|
|Apr. 15||Communion Class #1|
|Apr. 22||Communion Class #2|
|Apr. 29||Communion Class #3/Pre-EYC Meets for Finale!|
|May. 6||Communion Celebration 9am Service|
|May. 13||Mother’s Day|
|June. 3||5th Grade Recognition/Note in the Pocket Sort Day|
|June . 10||Summer S(f)undays Begin|
|July. 1||No Children’s Chapel|
|July. 8||No Children’s Chapel|
|Aug. 26||Backpack Blessings 9am Service|
|Sept. 9||Sunday School Resumes|
|Sept. 16||60th Anniversary Celebration|