Youth Ministry at St. Paul’s strives to provide a supportive environment where young people can explore their faith and their role in the world. We pray that all youth at St. Paul’s will discover the riches of our Episcopal faith and the gifts that they themselves possess.
I Corinthians 12:4-5
There are different kinds of gifts. But they are all given by the same Spirit.
There are different ways to serve. But they all come from the same Lord.
Youth programming has several components. Our two biggest programs are Sunday School and EYC (Episcopal Youth Community).
- Sunday School meets Sundays from 10:10-11 a.m. There are two youth classes: the Middle School Youth (grades 6-8) meet in the Youth Wing. The High School Youth (grades 9-12) meet in Room 10 of the Education Building. Both classes use the Episcopal Curriculum for Youth from Virginia Theological Seminary.
- EYC (Episcopal Youth Community) is our Sunday evening youth group. It meets from 5-7 p.m. The Middle School and High School youth generally meet separately but come together for devotions, music, and dinner. There is a combination of fun, fellowship, and faith at EYC.
We seek to build a program of Youth Ministry that is an integrated part of the vibrant ministry of St. Paul’s. We aspire to be a community of youth and adult leaders who seek not only to be in community with one another, but also to build community on the foundation of our shared Baptismal Covenant: through proclaiming the good news of God, striving for justice, breaking bread together, and celebrating the dignity of every person
We look to create an environment that is as engaging and inspiring as it is safe for the teenagers and adults who participate in it. We hope that this is a place where the youth of St. Paul’s can share their common and uncommon experiences with one another, and where they will feel supported and nurtured by the St. Paul’s community.
Youth events are posted on the home page of this website: https://www.stpaulscary.org/ and in other parish media.
Other Programming Highlights:
- Acolytes – assist the Priests in worship
- Confirmation – sacrament offered to 9th graders after a series of classes & usually held in the spring
- Diocesan Events – held throughout the year for youth in the Diocese; dates are on St. Paul’s Youth Calendar
- Mission Trips & Pilgrimages – trips offered to work with various communities to do service, outreach, and grow spiritually. Trip may include a High School Spring Break Pilgrimage, Middle School Mission, and Appalachia Service Project.
- GoDo – outreach group performing service in the community
- Volunteering – help provided by youth in many areas of Parish life
- Youth Music – both Vocal and Handbell choirs for grades 6-12
Appalachia Service Project (ASP)
ASP is a life-changing experience offered to rising 9th graders through graduating high school seniors. Each year St. Paul’s travels into the heart of Appalachia – be that Virginia, West Virginia or Kentucky- to rebuild houses and lives amid some of the poorest areas of the country.
Click here for the ASP page.
Confirmation is a sacramental rite of the Episcopal Church in which teenagers and adults affirm the covenant made on their behalf in Baptism. We offer Confirmation classes every year to all teenagers who are at least in the ninth grade and who have not yet been confirmed.
- Registration: https://form.jotform.com/82118970270153
- Medical Release: https://bit.ly/2PyEscb
- Covenant: https://goo.gl/Y7vhm6
- Registration: https://form.jotform.com/82515001002132
- Medical Release: https://form.jotform.com/82515068502150
- Covenant: https://goo.gl/rw47ed
Christian Formation Leaders