The next day the great crowd that had come to the festival
heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem.
So they took branches of palm trees and went out to meet him,
shouting, ‘Hosanna! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord— the King of Israel!’
I’m back!! It was an amazing trip to Israel and I can’t wait to tell everyone all about it – yes, the youth are going to have to sit through a slide show soon! I got to hike the Jesus Trail (https://jesustrail.com/), visit amazing Biblical sites, and spend time in Jerusalem. It was such an incredible experience.
Things will be a little slow in Youth Ministry for the next couple of weeks with Palm Sunday, Holy Week, Easter Day and spring break all happening soon. I will not send another letter during the break.
Here are some fun facts about Palm Sunday:
• It’s the Sunday before Easter at which Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem and Jesus’ Passion on the cross are recalled.
• It is also known as the Sunday of the Passion.
• Palm Sunday is the first day of Holy Week.
• Red is the liturgical color for the day.
• The Palm Sunday observance was generally accepted throughout the church by the 12th century.
• The 1928 BCP added the phrase “commonly called Palm Sunday” to the title of the day. A form for blessing palms was provided by the Book of Offices (1960).
Now you can amaze your friends with your knowledge!
Here is the upcoming youth news:
• Regular Events
• Sunday School: No classes until 4/28.
• EYC Sunday: No EYC until 4/28.
Save The Date
• Confirmation Retreat for Youth: May 17-18, 2019: This will kick off our Confirmation preparation program this year. Confirmation is open to youth 9th grade and above who are not already confirmed. Details are still being developed but put this date on your calendars. There will also be a summer service component and a fall gathering right before confirmation. Confirmation will be on September 22nd. Registration information will be available soon.
I hope to see you Sunday. It’s been a while.