Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase. Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free,
there is neither male nor female, for you are all ones in Christ Jesus.
These two quotes above were used during EYC Sunday for our discussion about the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. We had some great discussions about living out our Baptismal Covenant to “strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being.” The youth came up with some concrete, actionable items for us to do to work towards all these things. Look for more outreach, more learning about others that may not look or worship like us, and getting know a more diverse group of people as we journey with Christ. It was a humbling and encouraging night with the youth, as often happens.
Here is the youth news for the week:
• Sunday School: The lesson is entitled “Productive Worker: Letting Your Light Shine.” Middle School meets in the Youth Wing (go straight there, snacks are provided) and High School meets in Room 10.
• Murder Mystery Play Rehearsal Sunday 4-5 pm: Please bring your script but have the first scenes memorized – really!
• EYC Sunday 5-6 pm: Parent Drivers for Souper Bowl flyer distribution around the neighborhood. Detailed maps are provided. We need 6-8 folks, so please sign up: http://bit.ly/2MnMfcd.
• EYC Sunday 5-7 pm: Souper Bowl Flyer Distribution – Wear weather-appropriate clothing and good shoes. We go (run) around the surrounding neighborhoods and leave flyers and grocery bags for food donations. We go back next week to pick up the food. Then we’ll have time for some music, scatterball and dinner!
• Bishop’s Ball 2/8-10: Registration closes 1/30: http://bit.ly/bishopsball. This is a wonderful Diocesan event with workshops, games, music, service, and the big dance. Scholarships are available. Please don’t miss this event!
• Kanuga Snowtubing Trip 2/15-17: We are going back to Kanuga and Moonshine Mountain for snowtubing. This was a great trip last year. The cost is $135 which includes lodging, meals, transportation, and snowtubing. The registration deadline is 1/31/19 and payment is due by 2/3/19. Register at https://goo.gl/oX5DxU.
I hope to you Sunday for Souper Bowl fun!