Often you hear people talk about “giving something up” or adding a spiritual practice during Lent. The intended goal is to find a deeper capacity to love God and our neighbors. We talked about that at EYC Sunday night and asked ourselves “What needs the most attention in our lives?” Here are some of the things the youth challenged themselves to do during Lent this year:
• I will talk to friends instead of listening to music
• Spending less time distracted by screens
• Give up streaks
• Pray for others and my enemies
• Apologize to someone
• Attempt to spend 15 minutes a day in nature
I encourage all of you to think of ways that you can “reboot” yourself during Lent (the title of the video we watched Sunday evening). My prayer is that this will help open your heart to the grace of God and see how you can show it and share it with the world.
And here’s a fun thing to add during Lent: participate in Lent Madness. It’s all done online: 32 saints are placed into a tournament-like single elimination bracket. You vote for your favorite saint. It’s a fun way to learn about the saints and it’s really interesting so see how many people geek out over it! Subscribe at lentmadness.org to get daily emails and vote for your favs. Here is the youth news for the week:
- Sunday School: The lesson is entitled “In Relationships: Single or married/Female.” Middle School meets in the Youth Wing and High School meets in Room 10.
- No EYC Sunday: Rest and catch up on things after a weekend of Murder Mystery fun!
- Murder Mystery Dinner 3/9 6:30 pm: This is our biggest fundraiser of the year and we need more help, especially middle schoolers and their parents. Please sign up here: http://bit.ly/2IoH4KM. Tickets are still available (through Thursday) to see the show and have dinner. The cost is $20.00 per person and there will also be a wine cash bar. Proceeds will go towards Youth Mission trips. Please RSVP by 3/7/19 at: http://bit.ly/2IrH4K2.
- Scout Sunday 3/10: St. Paul’s will recognize the citizenship and volunteer efforts of all Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Cub Scouts at the 9:00 a.m. service. Contact Kathleen Neff (Kathleen@trioptimum.com) or Julia Rudy at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
- Pajama Sunday 3/10: The clock springs forward and we “celebrate” by wearing PJs to church if you want.
Save The Date
- Confirmation Retreat for Youth: May 17-18, 2019: This will kick off our Confirmation preparation program this year. Confirmation is open to youth 9th grade and above who are not already confirmed. Details are still being developed but put this date on your calendars. There will also be a summer service component and a fall gathering right before confirmation. Confirmation will be on September 22nd. Registration information will be available soon.
I hope to see you at the Murder Mystery dinner.