Declare his glory among the nations,
his marvelous works among all the peoples.
I Corinthians 16:24
Most of us think of shamrocks, green and maybe leprechauns when we think of St. Patrick. But he was a real person, the man credited with converting most of pagan Ireland to Christianity. Perhaps we can remember him best by reflecting on the “St. Patrick’s Breastplate,” which has traditionally been attributed to him. The word breastplate is a translation of the Latin word lorica, a prayer, especially for protection. These prayers would be written out and at times placed on shields of soldiers and knights as they went out to battle. St. Patrick’s Lorica points beyond himself and his adventurous life. It points to Christ, the one he proclaimed to the people who had taken him captive. Here is the beginning:
Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Here is the youth news for the week:
- Sunday School: The lesson is entitled “Caring for Others: Honoring Children.” Middle School meets in the Youth Wing and High School meets in Room 10.
- Youth Leadership Team: We will meet Sunday from 3:30-5 to plan spring EYCV events and begin working on Youth Sunday plans and music. Any high schooler is welcome to come. We’ll meet in the Youth Wing and there will be snack.
- EYC Sunday: Come celebrate St/ Patrick’s Day with us! Make sure you wear green.
- ASP Spaghetti Dinner 3/22 5-8 pm: This is a HUGE fundraiser for ASP. It’s also lots of fun and the food is great. If you’re planning on going to ASP, you should be helping. Even if you’re not, please consider helping too. Contact Susannah Vitaglione to help (email@example.com).
- Genesis 4/5-7: This is a Diocesan event only for middle schoolers. The theme this year is family. Everything is planned, developed, and run by high schoolers. It’s an awesome weekend. Register here: https://episdionc.org/digital_faith/events/3179939.
Save The Date
- Confirmation Retreat for Youth: May 17-18, 2019: This will kick off our Confirmation preparation program this year. Confirmation is open to youth 9th grade and above who are not already confirmed. Details are still being developed but put this date on your calendars. There will also be a summer service component and a fall gathering right before confirmation. Confirmation will be on September 22nd. Registration information will be available soon.
I hope to see you wearing green this Sunday.